Seventh Fleet Star Trek RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise - Into that brave night

Go down

The Rise - Into that brave night Empty The Rise - Into that brave night

Post by James Arnhem Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:04 pm

It was twilight, the cabin door left open as the warm breeze flowed through from the open lake that as night often seemed as still as glass. When the moon in full circle the light would shimmer and the mountains mirror upon the cold water within. It had been several years since anyone other than himself had gazed upon the openness of Triminni lakes. Though there were times when loneliness would set upon him or a sound or smell would set his memory recall to another time or place.

James tapped the pipe contents  against the wooden door frame; it was harmless enough, merely a semblance of substance from a bygone age. But it always put him at ease this time of year. a comfort of sorts. the light outside began to fade more quickly, he was silhouetted by the flames from the open fire and the flickering candles.

His homestead of a modest size and appearance had been created just so. He had often conceived such a place during the darkest moments of his life, his near death experiences would lead him to seek solitude in his thoughts. An escape from the inescapable. Darik, El-Auria, Tyra and all the other times he had lost. The only real technology he had was a replicator and the satellite communication system, but that had been switched off for some time and at that moment, he had no inclination to reactivate it.

Stepping back inside, he moved over to the record device and selected a new play list. 11.49 appeared on the screen.  December 24th 2401.

A soft German sounding voice sang out, Silent night began to play.

strange one might think that an Alien would be so engrained with Earth familiarities and customers, and continue to observe them, long after the general customs had diminished into the night. But sometimes, old habits die hard. James had spent nearly 50 years on Earth the first time; integration had been key. He'd as in those churches throughout the empire, from Malaysia, India, England and countless others. He'd sang the hymns and songs, researched the word. Every world he had ever visited had some form of God, or son of God. an almighty creator. He'd always been of the opinion that something more existed, just like back home. The Sons of God had been the prevailing custom. Leaving tenants by which to live and be judged . For all he knew Jesus had been an El-Aurian.

He placed the final ornament upon the tree, smiled and turned back towards his desk. Their he had sketched from memory, his family and friends ; whom had all long since departed. Any real images had been lost when El-Auria had fallen and the only photographic image of his Son had been destroyed upon the Churchill nearly 30 years hence.

"Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht
Alles schläft; einsam wacht
Nur das traute hochheilige Paar.
Holder Knabe im lockigen Haar,
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh!"

The clock struck 12 and the chimes rang out, everything was digital these days, no one or thing had a desire for the mechanical any more. James raised the glass he had now gripped in his hand and saluted to the invisible. "Merry Christmas, Princes and princesses of the world." The chilled wine slipped down and into his stomach, he could feel the cold sweet nectar as it went down. It was already his 3rd glass of the evening and he could feel his head swell slightly from the alcohol, a warm sensation; too much could make one forget, for a short time. James moved backwards and slumped into the soft leather chair and allowed the glow to warm him from the fire.  He was almost 800, give a couple of decades. But he might as well have been ancient and sod the sons of God and any other whom presumed the title. where were they when Millions cried out in death. He finished the glass.

The Seventh Fleet

Almost 30 years ago, the Seventh Fleet lost the bulk of its armada at the battle of Tyra, 14 vessels returned to base out of a 112. At the end of the Dominion war, the Seventh fleet was but into auxiliary service and moved from major front line services.  Once the pride and vanguard of the Federation, with over 400 operational vessels and stations across the alpha beta quadrants. Time had taken its toll. Now with only a handful of active duty star ships, the Seventh Fleet looked tired.

But on Frontier Day, all that changed. the last decade Starfleet had been too focused on automation, simplification. It had been its downfall and the decimation of the Home Fleet. A year on and the new mandate of Star Fleet. Boots and Suits on decks. Back to basics. retired officers returned to active service, along with mothballed star ships. Never again would Star Fleet or the Federation allow its self to be in that situation again.

The Seventh Fleet will be rebased out of Tellar Prime, with a new staff headquarters along with an older but still reliable space station placed just outside of the Barzan sector near the planet Clarus. there was still ample space to explore and the Tzenkethi had been making waves in the galactic community; new alliances being formed in secret, and now the Federation feared the Breen would cut off the corridor into the unknown. It was time for the peacekeepers to return.

El-Aurian Home world - Borg space

For the past 5 years James had been living off grid as it where, his whereabouts left unknown, and that was the way he liked it. surely he had done enough, blood sweat and tears and all that. How much more was he supposed to give. He had returned to El-Auria, and he had been found wanting. there she was, cleaved in two. a spiral of debris, death and decay. He had stared down at what was his former home, his eyes had flickered and his resolve wavered.

El-Auria was gone, she had been gone for decades, he had simply pushed the thought from his mind. But now, here standing in the remains of his home, in the realm of the Borg. It was all just too much, too much for his hearts to bare. So much grief and anger, despair and hearted. He closed the view screen, almost slumping to his knees, the magnitude of his failings, pushing ever more upon his shoulders. It was time to leave.
James pushed himself back upright and spoke softly to the Nightingales computer.

"Activate Royce quantum corridor 0010, set coordinates for Alpha 1"

"Affirmative" Was the replay

he moved back towards the cockpit, slipped off his wire rimmed silver spectacles, tucked them back into his upper pocked. now it was time for another duty.

Tyra 5 2401
James stood, looking outwards into the ever thinning crowds. Tyra had been his second biggest failing. The Speech was over. it had been almost 30 years since that fateful event that left so many of his friends dead or wounded for life. 90 odd ships had been left behind, destroyed or clinging to life in the hopes of mercy at an unmerciful  enemy. A tear streaked his cheek. there was no fanfare, no shouting, just mournful faces, staring into the hearts of an old man who had once lead the Seventh Fleet.

moving down from the podium, the gathering dispersing and wondering into their own dreams and thoughts among the gardens of remembrance. He could see all their faces, they flashed through his memory like rays of sunlight on an oil slick. a memory he recalled vividly at that moment. gliding over the cliffs of Dover, his engines running low, the Spitfire's Merlin's winding down. he had been so close to the ocean below, the cockpits hatch open wide, the wind gusting, his eyes stinging, but yet the oil and the sun light reflecting; still remained a poignant moment for him. some 500 years ago. another place, another time another war. He was tired now, always more enemies to fight, always more good to triumph over evil, he father once said. And if anything like the last year was to go by. the Changelings had bought more memories back, more than people cared to admit.
"Admiral" A voice called from the distance and returned James back to the present "Admiral, I'm glad I found you"

"Hello, do I know you?" He studied the younger man, a face he was not familiar with. "Where you at Tyra?" as asked softly

"No, No, a bit before my time Admiral"

"I'm not an Admiral any more Commander, I'm out. you can call me Mr, Sir, James..." he was interrupted by the man mid sentence
"That's quite alright Ad... Sir. I've been tasked to find you  by Admiral Bullock, he requests, nay asks that you meet him back on Earth. I'm sure you are aware of the issues we at Star Fleet face at the juncture in time?"

he continued as he removed a pad from underneath his arm, it began to drizzle in the warm light of the sun, not a cloud in the sky "Command and well the entire fleet have suffered a catastrophic failure, our losses in the home fleet alone ran into the thousands, senior officers compromised and positions no longer tenderable, even after the return of the prisoners. Frankly, we need you Admiral" The pad moved swiftly and outwards
"Look, I understand all that, but it really isn't my problem anymore, I've done enough, seen enough." James stepped backwards and went to walk in the opposite direction, a hand moved to stop him, pulled more firmly than expected. "What?"

"Look I am sorry for your loss. It must be hard still to grieve with those here. But I really must insist. I'm not Bullock or McNamara, I have a higher clearance than they think. I've read your files Sir. and I thank you for your loyal and long... service. But I don't think that you would enjoy the quiet life should the wider populace be made aware of your unique situation, Humans don't like Aliens interfering with the natural flow of life. I wouldn't wont it let slip how your people used Earth and other worlds to further their own agendas or act autonomously throughout our great history, who knows where we might be now, without you."

"You SON OF!. Look Commander, you and I both know, we El-Aurians did nothing to alter the chain of events, though we saved your world on more than one occasion, at great personal loss. Now let go of me"

"As you wish. But please do take the pad. The meeting is in two days. I'm sure your old friends would be pleased to see you" And with that, he smiled and turned away, he vanished in a shimmer of light. He owed them nothing, by what right did they have to impose on him once more.

Earth 2 days later

After all the smiles and long time no see, a cup of tea or two, the meeting between old friends had almost concluded.
"So, now you know James, the situation we find ourselves in. The Seventh Fleet is now reforming and expanding. We have credible sources that point to a new power rising in the Dalari system, we haven't had a anything out that way for a considerable time, and K-13 is getting pretty old, though the rumour mill says that the Breen are expanding and taking over a free species and the latest report from Ambassador Opi Grax in the Tzkenthi region suggests that also want to expand and close the Barzan corridor, cutting off our access. which would require a new treaty and space route, which we wish to avoid." McNamara leaned forward and picked up his coffee, he was easily in his 80th year, but moved still with ease. "Earlier this year I, we moved Starbase Katherine into situation between the two. re-commissioned Star base 7. shell act as a buffer and keep free trade. The 7th Fleet I've had established out of Tellar Prime. New headquarters, new staff. But ultimately James. I have a commission for you, Rear Admiral and a flagship, the Churchill"

James's eyes gleamed at the name, his old ship, it couldn't be, surely not. she was old now.

"I see your thoughts, sorry; It's not the same vessel, as much as I know you would wish it. Churchill was old, very old. She's new, brand new, Excelsior class II. She's all yours, Just say yes and the 7th shall rise again, so to speak."
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

https://seventhfleetrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum