Seventh Fleet Star Trek RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scharnhorst

2 posters

Go down

Scharnhorst Empty Scharnhorst

Post by James Arnhem Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:53 pm

tap tap
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

https://seventhfleetrpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Scharnhorst Empty Re: Scharnhorst

Post by James Arnhem Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:04 pm

It was hard to believe that only a few short years ago, that this plaza was awash with the dead and dying, the screams of many, fading into a single thought. Arnhem could still sense the burden, the scar on the landscape.

"Was there anything else Admiral?"

He looked up into the eyes of the waitress, 20 something, they were green, he could see every detail of the pain that had ensued. Arnhem paused as he stared; he could feel a tear forming in the corner of his blue eyes. At that moment, he did all he could not to move and take her hand, to stand and hold her, keep her safe. "N..No. no thank you. The tea is fine" The words came slowly. she smiled and headed away, unaware of his anguish or the sadness that crept into the corners of his mind. In years to come, this place will be all but forgotten and the lives it touched, new people new thoughts will break the silent pain. His had shook as he picked up the cup to take a sip.

A man so many years ago had wrote about the flower of youth, wasted over fields of green. Life could be so cruel.

The last few minutes had felt life a lifetime as he waited for his meeting. A former Captain, one whom had met a similar fate during the Frontier day. Kellan should be here soon. he took another sip. Nothing like an English cup of tea to sooth the soul.
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgalloway99 Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:25 am

Adrian was pretty confident on why Admiral Arnhem had asked him to a luncheon. Admirals typically don't ask officers or former officers to a luncheon without some sort of motive. Adrian believed that the admiral was going to ask him to reconsider his retirement. Even though it had been nearly a year, the pain still felt fresh. Loosing his first officer, was rough on him. Also given the fact it was members of his crew that killed him, made it especially hard on him.

He had spent the last year strengthen his relationship with his son and his wife. The three of them were really shaking by the events of 2401 on Frontiers Day. A few years removed of the Federation's decision to change their philosophy on dealing with galactic cultural crisis.

Two years since they returned to the stars, and ended their passive aggressive approach. Protecting the Synth, and standing up to the Romulans was a big step for the Federation. And now this happens. A join collaboration between the changelings and what was left of the Borg.

Some of former collogues believed they did this was karma for interfering with the Synth, others believed it was going to happen regardless. This plan of theirs took years to execute. Adrian really did not care how it started, only that it happened. And it shook his faith in humanity. Loosing Commander Drell, who was a Bolian and one of the finest first officers he had the pleasure of training.

Adrian walked over to where the Admiral was. He noticed the man sitting down at a table, drinking a beverage. He assumed it was a coffee, he had no idea it was tea. "Greeting Admiral. You requested my presence." Adrian called out, as he snapped to the position of attention. Even though he was retired, some habits were hard to break.
jlgalloway99
jlgalloway99

Back to top Go down

Post by James Arnhem Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:21 pm

Arnhem looked up at the former Captain. "No need for such formalities Adrian. Were both long in the tooth for it, you know." He waved a hand at the open seat and the gestured for the server to return "A Drink?"

Tap

"I'm sure it's not great secret as to why your here. Well it's no great secret why any of us are still here really" He mused to himself " Starfleet needs It's senior commanders far more than anything else right now. The Admiralty believe it is time the fleet expand and return to our principles of Exploration. I'm tasked with reforming our Seventh Fleet"

tap

"I have a ship without a Captain"
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgalloway99 Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:10 am

Arnhem looked up at the former Captain. "No need for such formalities Adrian. Were both long in the tooth for it, you know." He waved a hand at the open seat and the gestured for the server to return "A Drink?" wrote:Arnhem looked up at the former Captain. "No need for such formalities Adrian. Were both long in the tooth for it, you know." He waved a hand at the open seat and the gestured for the server to return "A Drink?"

Deep in his thoughts, Adrian's mind shifted back to his time on the USS Renown. The memory still haunted him. Clearly in his mind, he was trapped. Part of him had moved on, but apart of him was still holding onto the pain. The pain made it feel like he was still honoring his dear friend that sacrificed himself, in order to his captain and his friend. That really weighed heavy on him, to have a friend lay down their life for yours. "I would love a drink, Admiral."

James Arnhem wrote:"I'm sure it's not great secret as to why your here. Well it's no great secret why any of us are still here really" He mused to himself " Starfleet needs It's senior commanders far more than anything else right now. The Admiralty believe it is time the fleet expand and return to our principles of Exploration. I'm tasked with reforming our Seventh Fleet"

Adrian knew not to call him by his first name. Despite the fact that the Admiral called him by his first name, it was not protocol for a junior officer to address a senior officer by their first name. He wanted the Admiral to tell him why he was there. He had a sneaky suspicion why, but he wanted to hear the man flat out say it. In his mind, he was prepared to say no.

"All the former senior commanders in the fleet, why did you call me?" Adrian asked, as he took a seat, and was handed a cup of tea, it was steaming hot. Adrian picked up the cup, the heat rose from the cup. His lips slowly took a sip as he waited for an answer. He would admit, his delivery line was good, but he was still set on staying retired.

jlgalloway99
jlgalloway99

Back to top Go down

Post by James Arnhem Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:49 pm

Arnhem smiled, it was soft, kind, but sad at the same time. for all his years, he still had yet to fathom the meaning of life. "I don't know if you know much about myself Captain. I've been in and out of the fleet for some time. My species live vast and at time innumerable lives. Yet always we are ever drawn here. To this world. Oh we may stray and wander for a century or two, but my fellow travellers would now call this Home. I have seen many tragedies in my lifetime, I have fought in many wars and felt the loss of so many young lives, ended before it even begun. Oh Philosophers will ramble on about the spark of life and its purpose, Drs will tell you the be all and end all and that we are here because we are here. My answer, I truly do not know." He sipped his tea once more and then vaguely gazed into the sun "The unknown is out there still"

"Frontier day was your day Captain. whereas Tyra was mine. Well my most recent... But those moment mould us, shape us, break us and we must return stronger. I don't know if you are aware, But we Lost over 280 Captains from the 340 ships that day. The home fleet is now being made up of the 2nd and 4th Fleets. It's a lot of information, I know. It really is a beautiful day. I'll just say. a man from your past once said, Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country, and right now, your Federation needs you."
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgalloway99 Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:59 pm

Adrian was touched by his speech, the man could clearly articulate a good sentence. Was it years of wisdom? That allowed him to elegantly say what he needed to hear, despite the fact be didn't want to hear it. "I appreciate the fact that you're direct, Admiral." Adrian started off, debating about what was the best way of addressing his concerns, without sounding like an arrogant fool.

Adrian was still debating how to address his concern, several thoughts went through his mind and eventually he decided on this. "I'm not sure what I could offer the service, at this given time. I don't know, I would be lying to you, if I said that I'm still not haunted by the events just nearly 2 years ago." Maybe what he needed to hear at this moment was validation, something about second chances. Maybe you need to hear from the Admiral.

You know his wife tried helping him but she was also going to her on issues, and given the fact that the federation's recent history and track record with dealing with crisis it wasn't helping his situation. He was glad to hear though that Starfleet and the Federation were not willing to give up on the exploration initiative despite the fact they've had many outside interferences trying to interfere with it.
jlgalloway99
jlgalloway99

Back to top Go down

Post by James Arnhem Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:41 pm

He listened some more; as the Captain tried to dissuade himself from command, Arnhem lingered on the tea, allowing the cooling beverage to be savoured. He closed his eyes and felt the warmth of the sun. And it was then that the voiced cried out once more, a far distant memory of a world and civilisation long since gone. His hand trembled slightly and the moment was gone once more.

"I understand Captain. I'm sure your good family would not be amused to see you off again so soon. Moments with one's family are as precious as the blossoms of the ancient yuzung tree in Kyoto. I ask too much? You think. Who am I and by what authority do I ask. hmmm One Captain to another I'd consider it a favour, one last time around the block. Maybe in 5 years time, a new generation will be ready to take the leap and sit in that chair, where you once sat. But without a hand on the tiller, how will they make the right choice? "
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgalloway99 Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:26 pm

Adrian tried to hide the grin that was appearing on his face.The admiral had a way with words. This man should be a Starfleet recruiter. "I can see the logic, and maybe a broken down captain,  can put the pieces back together, long enough to train the next generation of commanding officers."

Adrian hated to admit it. Deep down in his heart he knew that the Admiral is right, who else would train the new generation of commanding officers if it wasn't him? The Admiral wouldn't be coming to him, if he didn't see something in him,. Even if he didn't see himself right now. Most admirals he knew, knew how to vette somebody properly. He wondered what did the Admiral seeing him that he didn't see himself.

Deep down Adrian knew that this could be impactful for his own healing process. He realized over the past few years that he had been focusing on making right with his family, and cherishing the time they spent together. However part of him  always felt like he was running from the pain. Maybe now was the time to addressed his fears and the pain he felt.

He knew that his counselor would definitely have her hands full with him, so whoever became the counselor of the Scharnhorst,  have mercy on her soul he thought to himself.
jlgalloway99
jlgalloway99

Back to top Go down

Post by James Arnhem Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:38 pm

"Well Captain, I fear our time is at an end, and as one Dr once said, time stalks us all. I have a crew to see too myself. The Churchill is due to depart shortly. I do hope Adrian that you will assume command of the Scharnhorst. The old guard need to stick together." James stood and looked skywards. he was sure that it was somewhere close that he stood once before, back in 1949 as he stared as the tower before him. Paris really was a beautiful city. he could almost recall the sounds of laughter and the small children singing the French Anthem. he out stretched his hand towards Kellan. "I'll see you on the other side, hopefully. Don't decide just now, let me know in a few days or my office, the papers are waiting." he squeezed the man's hand firmly. Arnhem turned and let the moment sink in and then walked towards the pathway heading to the Eiffel Tower.
James Arnhem
James Arnhem
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jlgalloway99 Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:56 pm

Adrian's mind was still a little on the fence but he was leaning towards accepting the offer, he appreciated the admirals request to give it a couple days to sink in. This would also allow him an opportunity to discuss it with Eliana his lovely wife. "I'll do that, you'll have my answer by the end of tonight." Adrian said is he reached out to shake the man's hand.
jlgalloway99
jlgalloway99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum